Cupcakes? What have cupcakes to do with Bliss? Didn’t I just say that Bliss was about grown up indulgence? I am not saying that cupcakes can’t be about grown up indulgence, coz I can think of quite a few ways to make them so! But…just because I aspire to lofty, indulgent, grown up flavours, the reality is, it doesn’t stop me from being a loving mum and aunty to my 6 lovely neices, 3 nephews, and to lots of friends, gorgeous, cupcake eating, kids!! As such, I get asked to make cupcakes 🙂
Since I had a chance to make them on the weekend and take some photos, thought I would share my favourite, all birthday encompassing, cupcake recipe.
This recipe makes about 3 dozen cupcakes.
Chocolate Cake mix
2 tspn vanilla essence
1 3/4 cup castor sugar
2 cups self raising flour
2/3 cup cocoa
1 cup water
Combine, butter, essence, sugar, eggs, sifted flour and cocoa and water in large bowl, beat on low speed with electric mixer until ingredients are combined . Increase speed to medium, beat for about 3 minutes or until mixture is smooth and changed in colour.
Strawberry Cake mix
185 g butter
2 tspns strawberry essence
1 1/4 cup castor sugar
2 1/4 cup self raising flour
1 cup water
3 drops red food colour
Combine butter, essence, sugar, eggs, and sifted flour and water in large bowl, beat on low speed with electric mixer until ingredients are combined. Increase speed to medium, beat for 3 minutes or until mixture is smooth, and lighter in colour.
Place patty pans into tins. Spoon 1 tablespoon of chocolate mix on 1 side of pan then spoon 1 tablespoon of strawberry mix on the other side of patty pan. Use toothpick to swirl until 2 cake mixes look swirled together in a pretty marbled pattern.
Bake at 170Celsius for approximately 10-15 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool completely.
4 1/2 cups icing mix
3 tspns strawberry essence
6 tablespoons of milk
5-6 drops of red food colouring
Beat butter and essence until butter is light and fluffy, gradually beat in icing mix and milk. Beat in food colouring gradually, until you reach desired shade of pink. Fill piping bag with frosting and pipe swirls on top of cupcakes. Sprinkle with 100’s and 1000’s. Happy Birthday!! XXX
- To get a really, lovely rich chocolate flavour, use 100% Dutch processed cocoa.
- To get a more gourmet strawberry flavour, invest in a good strawberry extract for flavouring chocolates. Use half the amount that I have recommended in the recipe.
- You can use either choc or strawberry mix recipes on their own.
- Both mixes can be halved or doubled depending on how many you need! Half the choc or strawberry mix is enough for approximately 12 cupcakes, which is usually enough for a few days when the kids just want a cupcake hit!
- Always cool cupcakes thoroughly before frosting, or else your frosting WILL melt!
- These cakes can be made up to a couple of days ahead, just make sure you keep them in an airtight container.